[mythtv-users] Archiving .NUV Files?

Carl Fongheiser carlfongheiser at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 01:53:42 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Matt Jordan <thehappyfunball at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. If I copy a show on a .nuv file for a show I want to keep elsewhere
> can I play it from MythTV's Video Player ("Watch Videos" in the Media
> Library) later?

Maybe (see below).

2.  Let's say that I want to watch a show on my laptop while on travel
> (from the HDD).  How can I get the .nuv file into a format that I
> could easily play on a Mac OS X laptop?  (MPEG2, MPEG4, DivX, etc?)

This depends on how you recorded the show.  If you're using a hardware
encoder, like one of the Hauppauge PVR cards, it's already in MPEG-2
format.  Otherwise, you'll want to use nuvexport to convert to one of the
standard formats.  MythVideo can handle any of those just fine, too.

nuvexport can also create an SQL file that you can use to reimport a .nuv
file, which will put it back into the recorded programs list.  Not exactly
MythVideo, but it might meet your needs.

Carl Fongheiser