[mythtv-users] The perfect MythTV Motherboard at last

Kirby Bakken kirby at magnaspeed.net
Sat Jan 21 15:49:12 UTC 2006

Paul Bender wrote:

>mike choy wrote:
>

>>I just spotted this Asus Motherboard
>>
>>Micro ATX
>>Dual Core support for fast rips and transcodes
>>Integrated DVI  and VGA and Nividia graphics
>>Integrated SPDIF OUT
>>Integrated Firewire
>>Gigabit ethernet
>>
>>Heres te review
>>http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2370
>>
>>Anyone got any experience with this yet.
>>

>I have this motherboard with a AMD Athlon64 3200 on it. I got it because
>a friend and I felt that it would make a great MythTV frontend.
>
>The short summary is that it has great promise, but it is not perfect yet.
>
>The Motherboard's DSDT is buggy, so you have to do some work to get it
>to boot with ACPI, but it can be done. The ALSA audio driver needs to be
>patched to get it to work without making horrible noises. The NVidia
>driver has a bug that prevents XvMC from working on this board so there
>is now hardware accelarated MPEG2 decoding yet. You can find out more
>about the problems at
><http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57791>.
>
>Having said all that, I have a version of MiniMyth <http://linpvr.org>
>running on it and I am using it as a diskless MythTV frontend right now.

I don't have this particular MB, but I have two others with Nforce4 on
them...  I'm currently running with the Biostar TForce6100-939.   The
Nvidia video driver for this MB works fine with XvMc, but you have to go
'back to the 7176 driver for GL Vsync to work.  Nvidia is reportedly
aware of the bug and has it fixed in an internal (to them) driver that
should be released 'soon'.  I've got Myth working well on this board
with a Fusion5 Gold card and an HD5000 card.  I'm running Gentoo
2.6.14-r5 kernel with the 'b2c2' dvb source from the 2.6.15 kernel
package (the 2.6.15 kernel has some issues with bad page handling).
There were initially problems (last November/December) with getting Sata
to work, but those are also handled in the 2.6.14-r5 kernel.  My TV is a
Panasonic Plasma with VGA input, so I don't have any component/DVI
issues....

The 2nd Nforce4 MB was a Gigabyte Ga-K8N51GMF-9 Socket 939.  It worked
fine except for sound...  The 'default' ALSA sound setup was for 6
channel sound, and it didn't have a 'Master' slider.... Like other
posters on this forum, the ALSA .asound setup was too complicated, so I
gave up on this board for a Myth frontend...  I'll probably set this
board up as a backend in the near future.*

*