[mythtv-users] New Install - Hang on entering live tv

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 21 20:51:58 UTC 2006

Bob wrote:

>Thanks to everyone who replied. I thought I would post an update even though
>I am dead in the water due to the hard drive crashing.
>
>1) I recorded a show. The file was created, but trying to watch the show
>resulted in the same blank screen crash that I have gotten originally
>entering LiveTV. I think this points to an nvidia driver issue particular to
>the myth internal player. (mplayer works fine).

Because MPlayer doesn't use OpenGL vsync.

>2) I was very optimistic about Brian's suggestion of removing the "load glx"
>from the xorg.conf. I commented it out, and even restarted the machine (not
>just X) but the problem persisted.

NVIDIA's drivers are auto-loading the GLX module.  You either need Myth
0.18.1 (or below) compiled without OpenGL support or Myth 0.18-fixes or
SVN (which has a runtime setting in frontend settings to disable OpenGL
vsync).  In a "short" time, though, upgrading to 0.19 will give you this
option (and 0.19 may be ready before your new hard drive arrives...
(fingers crossed)  ;)

Mike