[mythtv-users] XvMC - Nvidia isssues?

mike choy mike at acaciaclose.co.uk
Sun Jan 22 14:39:47 UTC 2006

Dan Seddon wrote:
> Hi
> This is my first post to the list after getting my system up and
> running. I have a Mythtv setup which I'm really pleased with it's 95%
> perfect! However - that remaining 5% is always worth persuing so... I'm
> using XvMC which means my Athlon XP 1600 trundles away at 15% usage
> whilst playing DVB-T (standard definition PAL) video. This has 3 issues
> which reading through the list have been mentioned on and off - but I
> haven't found all the answers.
>
> First off - the menus become monochrome, which isn't a biggy and worth
> putting up with for the performance gain (but it would be nice to know
> if this is preventable).
>
> Secondly the menus cause the video to jump when they appear, which can
> be very distracting -  this has been mentioned a lot on the list from
> what I can see. Hopefully I have something useful to add here.... I have
> Quadro FX500 card (don't ask why I'm sticking such an expensive card in
> a PVR box) and I found enabling overlays ( |Option "Overlay" "true")
> |gets rid of this problem - this is listed as a quadro only option and
> I'd be interested to know if anyone has success with this option using a
> non-quadro card, as I could then sell it as I've been intending to do.....
>
> Lastly the problem which I count as my final 5% - I have an issue with
> some programs where the video stutters (the video may stutter in time
> too, but it's hard to tell when your ears are hurting). It's been a
> complete bafflement to me as it happens on only some programs (not
> channels) and non of the configurations I've tried get rid of it (other
> than diabling XvMC) - playing the same .nuvs with mplayer reveals that
> the only unique characteristic of these recording seems to be that the
> audio is at 256 kbits, whereas most of the other recording I have are at
> 192... I haven't been very scientific in checking it - but it seems to
> be consistant, having checked a few recordings. It happens to about 1 in
> 5 recordings, or maybe less, at the moments - but is fustrating as I
> have to go in to my options and reconfigure everytime I want to watch
> such a recording. I've only seen this issue posted once by a guy who
> said he was using the via equivalent of XvMC (I haven't found his post
> again - as it was a while ago) - which might be important as is implies
> it isn't a driver problem (I get the same issue when running the
> frontend on my laptop with a completely different sound card and older
> Quadro card). Is anyone else familier with this problem? I'm in the UK -
> where we don't have HDTV yet, so I can't be that my systems overwhelmed
> by what I'm throwing at it?
>
> Any help/interest would be appreciated.
>
> Dan

Dan Just so we are all in sync, what version of the driver are you using?

Also on the video stutter thing, it might be the problem with mainly
white or mainly black screens problem
that a lot of people have had issues with on DVB which manifests itself
as an audio stutter as well. You see it
most during adverts which use blank screens alot. The fix to this seems
to be to move to TS rather than PS stream processing on your dvb card.

Meanwhile I'll go and have a look at my rig on the XvMC overlay thing
and report back. I dont use it at the mo cause I like colour menus, the
machine running at 15 to 30% is no big thing to me as its not doing much
else.

Mike C