[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Mythbackend stopping randomly

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 01:22:22 UTC 2006

Hi all,

First thanks to all on this list that give your time so freely.

I have had my mythtv setup up and running for quite a while now. I am
running my setup with Dvico lite cards. With some help form the forum here i
got them going. And it seems to be working perfectly.

But then i started to run into a, seemingly random, problem. Myth would say
that it is recording the program but not actually do it. After checking all
the logs i could find, i still couldn't find the problem. So i checked that
the backend was running and it was most of the time it was. it seems that
even though the backend crashes the mythbackend status command doesn't show
or know that the backend has crashed. so i just restart it and it works.

So off to the list I go. After a bit of searching i find that there is a
known bug when the recordings screen is left open and the log files tries to
do something it crashes the mythbackend service.

Here is the rub, i found somewhere off this list a person that documents how
to use a program that tracks certain process to see if they are still
running. (cant find it now..... off course) but if the status command says
that it is still running, will that work? From memory it says it says that
it uses the PID????

The thread in the forum says that it is fixed in the SVN and therefore in
0.19 should not have that problem anymore. Now i am not anywhere near good
enough to try a snapshot of the CVS, even if i knew what that meant ;-)

So my questions are;
Will the program (that i cant find now) work if the status command says that
it is still running?

Would it be better to just restart the service at a set time say 1pm
everyday?
   - i would assume that you could use a cron job to do this. can somebody
help me with this?

Is there something simple to fix this problem?
(please don't say, don't leave it in the watch recordings screen.The wife
does this every day no matter what i tell her & she is the one that
complains that it didn't record her show!!!!!!! )

Any help would be great......

Chris.