[mythtv-users] Using DVD VIDEO_TS directories on disk with MythTV?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 07:49:52 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 01/20/2006 02:39 PM, Todd Ignasiak wrote:
> > On 1/19/06, *Steve Hodge* <stevehodge at gmail.com
> > <mailto:stevehodge at gmail.com >> wrote:
> >
> >     On 1/20/06, Todd Ignasiak <ignasiak at gmail.com
> >     <mailto:ignasiak at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     > The file layout is something like:
> >     >
> >     >      /XMas_2002/VIDEO_TS/{*.IFO, *.VOB}
> >     >      /Wedding/VIDEO_TS/{*.IFO, *.VOB}
> >     >
> >     > Where the top directory is the name of the DVD, the second is always
> >     > VIDEO_TS, and the DVD data files are below that.  Ideally, I
> >     would like to
> >     > treat the top dir as the title, and associate a JPEG image with
> >     that, and
> >     > have a view launched that treats VIDEO_TS as a DVD.
> >
> >     You could try having a single directory somewhere with links to the
> >     vob files in each subdirectory. You could write a shell script to
> >     create the links automatically from the top directory names.
> >

> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> >  The VOBs all use the same filenames, so there would be conflicts.
> > But, I guess the links could use different names.  But, then it would
>  > break the relationship between the IFO file and the VOB data.  So, DVD
> > menus and language support would be broken.
> >
> > If I go this route, I think I would change my DVD's to single file
> > videos, either one huge VOB, MPEG2 file, or  H.264 file.    The
> > downside there is that I lose DVD Menus, chapters, etc.
>
> How about:
>
> ln -s /path/to/XMas_2002 /myth/videos/XMas_2002.dvdrip
>
> with a command that plays it back like:
>
> xine --no-splash --auto-play=fhq dvd:%s
>
> associated with the ".dvdrip" extension
>
> And, you might want to check out
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/142951#142951
>
> (if you do the offline stuff, use the updated prompt_for_media script at
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/143035#143035 ).

 Thanks for all the tips.   I ended up trying the directory renaming.
I added a '.DVD' extension to the DVD directories and added that file
type to the videos area.

After a bit of tweaking with the xine settings, it's working pretty well.

Now, I just need to get the xine keymap settings configured to work
with my MythTV/lircd settings, and I'll be all set.