[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 16:13:35 UTC 2006

Tony Brummett wrote:
> On 1/22/06, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>
>> With some recent discussion here about CPUs and costs I wonder what
>> the "average" cost of a MythTV machine might be.
>>

> I doubt you'd be able to boil it down to any single "average" number,
> because there's so much variation about what a MythTV machine does.
> For example, my first MythTV box cost me less than $200.  I used a
> 900MHz PC I scavanged from work and an old bttv capture card I got on
> extended loan from a friend, and just had to buy a large hard drive to
> store things on, and an el-cheapo Nvidia video card with TV-out.
>
> My current setup was only a little more expensive.  I have 2 frontend
> machines: the same one above, and another I put together from parts I
> had laying around (cost: about $30 for another Nvidia card).  The
> backend I bought all new parts for (1.5GHz AMD, a PVR-250, 2 80G hard
> drives, cheap case).  It was, maybe, $500 three or four years ago.
> Pretty much any machine you can throw together today is going to be
> fast enough for standard-def TV.
>
> I'm currently putting together an all new frontend that can playback
> HD, plus a tuner and more hard drives for the backend.  It'll probably
> all be $900 to $1000 because I'm going to be splurging on a nice case
> that'll fit with the other stereo components, and make everything
> super quiet.  I'm probably overspending on a few things, but I'm
> hoping it's fast enough that I won't have to do this again any time
> soon.
>
> -- Tony

Sob sob!  Why can't ATI play nice with linux and let me use my all in
wonder in mythtv?  I have a whole extra machine sitting around with the
evil windows MCE2005 on it, and it has way more power than my mythtv
machine... with an all in wonder 9700pro inside, the only component that
won't work in linux :(