[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 16:21:28 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 09:26:02PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
> With some recent discussion here about CPUs and costs I wonder what
> the "average" cost of a MythTV machine might be.
>
> I have seen some "turnkey" machines offered for what I consider to
> be  very high prices, even given the fact that the builders deserve
> a  certain profit. I do not wish to mention names, but $1500 for
> what  seems to be a minimal front/back-end box with 1 capture card
> seems  quite high to me, although I will grant that it is a far
> better deal  than what Sony wants for a DRM-ridden MCE device.
>
> I think if one was constructing a computer specifically for MythTV a
> minimal F/B configuration might cost $600, using refurbed components
> perhaps, and with 1 MPEG-encoding capture card. $1500 would buy a
> very nice machine with maybe 1TB of storage and 3 capture cards.
> These guesses include a "computer" monitor but not an entertainment-
> quality display.
>
> Anybody have ideas? What "should" a MythTV machine cost? Are the
> "commercial" offerings realistic? Obviously a lot of us are re-using
> hardware we have hanging around, it may be rare for somebody to
> purchase gear solely to build a DVR. I'm just wondering what folks
> are doing.

The problem with your question is that you cannot really hope to
capture the essence of a "standard" or even a "minimal" configuration.
Split or combined frontend/backend? HD-capable or not? Those two
parameters alone will severly impact the numbers for a "standard" or
"minimal" configuration.

I purchased stuff solely to build a DVR. I've described it here:

	http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Rtsai1111

I think I did OK with the shopping at the time; I think your estimate
of $1500 is too low for "a very nice machine".

> A related matter - What is the position of Zap-2-It Labs on these
> pre- built machines? Does this violate the "personal use" license? I
> admit  I have no idea on this one.

--Rob