[mythtv-users] Cost of MythTV Machines

Dave Jones david.l.jones at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 18:57:07 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, Urban Nightmare <urban at inetdesign.org> wrote:

> The moral of the story.  Plan your hard ware purchases!  Don't always go
> for cheapest and don't always go for newest.  Listen to people when they
> say to get a PVR-1/2/350 as they are the best I've found.  Don't just
> settle for a 100 gig HD as you will run this out of space if you record
> alot.  Wait for the next paycheck and get at least 250.  My advice to my
> co-worker was to pick up the pieces as you can but make sure you get
> what you know from others will work.

Absolutely right... the best thing is to do opportunistic buying. If you
live close to a Fry's or comparable computer/electronics
store/warehouse/barn, spread out your purchases over a couple of months.
That way you *know* you can get the $0.20/GB hard drive special(s), the
Antec Sonata for $60, the P4 mobo/CPU combo for $105, the gig of RAM for
$60, etc. This applies to online shopping, too. And mail in any 0% credit
card offer you have so you don't end up paying 200% of the final cost up
front, or paying interest on rebates while they process.