[mythtv-users] 1080i playback at 720p

Mark Lehrer mark at knm.org
Mon Jan 23 21:00:35 UTC 2006

I have been struggling with playing back 1080i content for awhile and
I am wondering if anyone has figured out the best way to play it back
at 1280x720x60fps (59.94, whatever).

The closest that I have come is to use VLC with the "bob" or "linear"
deinterlacing methods, but the deinterlacing seems to work sometimes
but every few seconds or so it switches back and forth between 60fps
and 30fps.  This is not noticeable with movies or most tv shows but it
is absolutely maddening for sports events (my test content is from
CBS' US Open broadcasts).

My machine is a prescott 3.2 ghz with a geforce 6800.  Can anyone give
some hints on how to display this content?  The ABC 720p broadcasts
such as the super bowl and grammys look absolutely perfect, so I am
reasonably confident that the shortcoming is with the deinterlacing
step.  However, I haven't had much luck with transcoding to another
format either (tried mencoder, avidemux2, transcode).

Is anyone else doing this successfully?

Thanks,
Mark