[mythtv-users] Can someone please post their mencoder/transcode command-line?

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 23:46:36 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, Charles Rose <charles at roseware.com> wrote:
> I'm a relatively new MythTV user, having recently setup the latest
> KnoppMyth.  I'm capturing firewire output from a Motorola DCT-6208
> with success in both standard and high definition.
>
> However, I would like to have MythTV automatically transcode the .nuv
> files to another format (such as DivX/Xvid) so that I can play them
> on other computers in a generic player such as Windows Media Player,
> (ugh, I know) with appropriate codecs installed.
>
> Does anyone have such a command-line?  I'm a bit concerned about
> audio sync drift, which I have experienced in the past and wanted to
> start with a command-line that was working for someone.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Charles

I've been using a script I derived from acidrip to encode hd
programing to mpeg4 so I can download it while I'm 3000 miles away
from my myth setup for the next 6 months.  anyway.  here is the
script:

#!/bin/sh
unlink frameno.avi 2> /dev/null
mencoder $1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128  -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv:vqmin=2:vbitrate=920:vpass=1 -ofps 23.976 -vf
pp=de,scale=608:336    -o "/dev/null"
mencoder $1 -oac mp3lame -lameopts abr:br=128  -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vhq:v4mv:vqmin=2:vbitrate=920:vpass=2 -ofps 23.976 -vf
pp=de,scale=608:336    -o $2
unlink divx2pass.log  2> /dev/null

just save it and run it: script inrecording.nuv(or mpg) outfile.avi

You can mess with the bitrate and scaling etc. I'm seeing hour long hd
programing resize to about  450 mb.  I used a downloaded episode of a
tv show from bittorrent to figure out some of the settings.  This does
no cutting.