[mythtv-users] Advice on adding a second capture card

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 24 00:53:53 UTC 2006

I've been wanting to add a second capture card almost since the moment
of deploying my Mythtv box a couple of weeks ago.  I held off because I
wanted to stabilize things, but I'm now anxious to go ahead and shop for
the second card.

I'm still having a few problems, but feeling confident in my ability to
work through them.  Since I've been putting this off, I'm going to beg
your indulgence and ask the list for some recommendations on a second
capture card.

Currently I have a PVR-150 that mostly works fine (my main complaint is
some motion-blurring in fast-action sports) and an nVidia FX5200 TV-Out
card, for a SD/analog cable setup.  Running Ubuntu with an AMD64 3200+
CPU and 512MB RAM.

I guess I've narrowed my choices to a second PVR-150 or a PVR-350.  My
basic questions are:
1. Will I likely be happier with a PVR-350 for watching livetv sports
(and I'd move the 150 into a backup/recording role)?

2. If I get a 350, should I use its TV out, or continue using the FX5200
  (i.e., is the 350 likely to give better output for fast-action sports)?

3. If I get a 350, do I have to handle sound differently than I do with
the 150 (i.e., do I have to capture audio via line-in on my sound card)?
    Is all of this handled automagically by mythytv if I'm recording
different shows on each card?

(With questions 2 & 3, I'm trying to get at how much trouble I'm likely
to run into going with a 350 instead of a second 150).

4. I seen a fairly steady low-level stream of issues popping up here
when people add a second card to a system.  Any cautions or things to
look out for in advance of adding the second card would be appreciated.

Cheers,
john