[mythtv-users] MythTV and Asterisk?

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 24 04:57:54 UTC 2006

True, of course.

But most people (especially those new to VoIP) want to keep their PSTN
(regular telephone network) line and number, at least for a while, not
make one big leap into VoIP land.

An x100P (or equivalent) will let you plug Asterisk into a phone jack
connected to the PSTN, and keep all your existing infrastructure (analog
phones, phone #, etc.) in place.

You can start out with it as a "fancy answering machine" (it does voice
mail), and take it as far as you want.  Mine does all kinds of cool
things, like find me/follow me (automatically transfer calls to each
family member's cell phone if they're not at home), announce incoming
caller id on each computer as well as the stereo system (soon on MythTV
as well), screen callers who don't have caller id, etc.

cheers,
john

Dean Collins wrote:

 > Not entirely correct, you use an x100p if you want to connect to the
 > pstn, you can install asterisk without this card by connecting to a sip
 > or iax carrier (basically a carrier that connects calls via voip) eg I
 > use www.faktortel.com.au in Australia $9.95 a month unlimited incoming
 > calls.
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Dean

asterisk, you need an X100P card, which is a fancy modem, available on
ebay for about $15 in the U.S.