[mythtv-users] Performance from a different perspective

Gary Manning gmanning45 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 24 16:57:29 UTC 2006

When I started this thread, I was hoping we could get a discussion going
about processor performance beyond just raw cpu speed, especially as it
relates to HDTV material.  If cpu speed were the only factor, then a Celeron
3GHz would be better than a P4 2.8GHz, but I doubt that is true.

I guess one way to approach this is to analyze what types of processing take
place during tuning, encoding/decoding, and display.  Is it just a compute
intensive process?  Is a large cache important?  How about memory size and
speed?

Gary