[mythtv-users] Performance from a different perspective

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:14:57 UTC 2006

Well Cache is important.  Another reason a Celeron will suck compared to
a P4 is the bandwidth between the processor and RAM is crippled.  The
Celeron front side bus was always chopped in half compared to a
pentium.  The netburst architecture has always been bandwidth hungry, so
you take a netburst chip, hack off 75% of it's cache and crack it's FSB
to pieces, and yeah, it ain't gonna do much compared to a P4.  I don't
know much about HD, but from a gaming POV, a #GHz celeron is like a
1.8-2.0GHz P4.  Basically the general rule avoid celerons like the
plague for all tasks except email and word processing applies to HTPCs
too I would think.
In reality, encoding/decoding is computationally intensive, and at the
same time you need bandwidth as these actions involve streaming.  since
Celeron is piss poor at floating point and has no bandwidth to access
the RAM, it must suck for HD on HTPCs.  However, if anyone is using one
successfully I'd like to know.
Disclaimer: this email written by someone extremely hostile to intel
smellerons.