[mythtv-users] Laptop CPU in Desktop Mainboard

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:15:38 UTC 2006

On 1/24/06, Steve Adeff <adeffs at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 January 2006 12:34, Michael Starks wrote:
> > I have been thinking of using a laptop CPU to save power on a new MythTV
> > system.  Basically, I'd like to be able to use the cpuspeed daemon to
> > drop the CPU speed when there isn't a lot going in.  Has anyone done
> > with with a full-size mainboard?  Any other tips?
>
> laptop CPU's use different sockets, etc. I believe some of the new mini boards
> (BTX or something?) use laptop cpu's. I also believe desktop cpu's support
> the cpu speed daemons.
>
> --
> Steve

I built a desktop that had a socket A in it, and bought an XP-Mobile
chip for it.  It works, however, the bios on the Motherboard doesn't
recognized the chip specifically so lots of the speed scaling and
power saving features aren't enabled.  The chip is lower wattage so it
does save some power that way, but I don't have any configuration
power over it.  I think I have a Biostar microatx board with an nvidia
chipset and onboard video.  I can't give specifics as I'm away from
home for work for the next few months, so can't check the actual model
numbers etc.