[mythtv-users] Laptop CPU in Desktop Mainboard

Robert Tsai rtsai1111 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 03:57:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 09:37:24PM +0100, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> > Tom Dombrosky wrote:
> >> On 1/24/06, *Steve Adeff* <adeffs at gmail.com <mailto:adeffs at gmail.com>>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>     On Tuesday 24 January 2006 12:34, Michael Starks wrote:
> >>     > I have been thinking of using a laptop CPU to save power on
> >>     > a new MythTV system.  Basically, I'd like to be able to use
> >>     > the cpuspeed daemon to drop the CPU speed when there isn't
> >>     > a lot going in.  Has anyone done with with a full-size
> >>     > mainboard?  Any other tips?
> >>
> >>     laptop CPU's use different sockets, etc. I believe some of
> >>     the new mini boards (BTX or something?) use laptop cpu's. I
> >>     also believe desktop cpu's support the cpu speed daemons.
> >>
> >> The Athlon laptop cpus use the same socket.  They will work fine.
> >
> > A  really minor modificatio can turn a normal Athlon XP into a
> > mobile athlon too - which enables you to use the athcool stuff
> > under linux. It's pretty straight forward and there's plenty of
> > stuff on doing it out there.
>
> What about the 64 family, any mods there? I'm using an Athlon 64
> 3700+ San Diego (socket 939) which has pretty good voltage/speed
> stepping, although I'd love to be able to drop the lowest step even
> more. If anyone knows a mod for that I'd love to know! The kernel
> module seems to read the stepping info direct from the cpu or bios,
> and I haven't found a way to manipulate this manually, although
> googling suggests that a further 10% cut in voltage should be
> possible.

How slow are you trying to go?

I have an Athlon64 3500+ Winchester. By default, the cpufreq-ondemand
governor only lets it go from 2.2GHz down to 1.8GHz. I had to tweak it
manually to drop it down to 1.0GHz (nothing available in between):

	# cpufreq-set --min 1000000 --governor ondemand

[This is software only; no mucking around with voltage on the
motherboard.]

--Rob