[mythtv-users] I'm getting real pissed off about IVTV

Joshua Frank frankjoshua at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 18:15:11 UTC 2006

I had this same problem. I called hauppage tech seupport they sent me a new
PVR-500 and all is good.
If only one tuner works on a PVR 500 your card is bad.

Ok, i just thought of one thing that you could check.
in /etc/init/modutils
you should have a file called ivtv

# ivtv (PVR-500MCE)
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias char-major-81-2 ivtv
alias char-major-81-3 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias tuner tuner-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

This is what mine looks like but I have a PVR-350, 250 and 500 in the same
box. If you just have a 500 probably should look like this
# ivtv (PVR-500MCE)
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
alias char-major-81-1 ivtv
alias tveeprom tveeprom-ivtv
alias tuner tuner-ivtv
alias msp3400 msp3400-ivtv

Then run update-modules to update your /etc/modules.conf file.
Then maybe run depmod -a. Reboot and cross your fingers.

But it's probably a bad card. I spent a lot of time trying to update drivers
and settings to fix mine.
Then I called tech support and told them that only one tuner worked and they
immediately said my card was bad and  gave me an rma.

On 1/25/06, Richard Bronosky <mythtv at bronosky.com> wrote:

> I tried:
> cat /dev/video0 > ~/tmp/video0.mpg
> [wait 5 seconds, ctrl-c]
> cat /dev/video1 > ~/tmp/video1.mpg
> [wait 5 seconds, ctrl-c]
>
> video0.mpg contained a viewable file that was 5.7meg
> video1.mpg was 0 bytes
>

> Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
> Richard Bronosky wrote:
>

> I don't own a windows box.  Is there a method of testing it in Linux
> that I have not done?  (see my logs link in the "situation" page below.)
>

> Not that I know of short of cat /dev/video1 > test.mpg to dump the
> output of the card to a file.  It is impossible to say without having
> other evidence of the card functioning in another system whether you are
> experiencing a hardware problem.  It is not uncommon from the messages
> I've read to have a PVR-500 with one tuner defective.  I've also seen
> reports where loading the Windows drivers/firmware on a Windows system
> resets the card to a working state.  I think this is usually indicative
> of a firmware issue but either way, testing in another OS should give
> you the confirmation of whether the card works at all.
>
> Kevin
> I may have missed the answer there, in which case, please point out the article to me, but don't say "check forum X."
>
> Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.

Joshua Frank
frankjoshua at gmail.com