[mythtv-users] New to mythtv, need help

G S spitfirer24 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 21:04:46 UTC 2006

I don't quite understand how you have your PVR-350 hooked up to your tv. I'm assuming you're using a video out from your video card to the TV screen. If this is so, I'm not sure exactly how you would set that up. My recommendation is to just run xorg off the PVR-350's S-video out. That's the way I have mine setup and there's instructions for it in the Fedora Mythtv guide.

Things to make sure of if you set it up this way:

1. Be sure you append "vga=791" to the end of kernel /vmz lines in your grub.conf before you try to run x on your s-video out. This step is easily missed in the Fedora guide as it's not in one of the grey code boxes. It's located near the center of the page in the guide.

2. In your mythtv setup, you want to set your card to mpeg2 encoder compatible or something like that. I don't have the setup open in front of me but the default setting is not correct for the PVR-350. Also, you do want to use Tuner 0. This selects the tuner as the input stream.

3. In the mythtv frontend options, be sure to enable the PVR-350's TV out/mpeg encoder. It's located in the TV settings > playback category. The options line below that should read /dev/video16

4. DO NOT rebuild your system's ramdisk as stated in the Fedora guide. Some stuff has changed around since the last update to the guide. If you try to rebuild the ramdisk so the driver loads earlier your system won't boot up. So just skip this step until the guide has been updated again.