[mythtv-users] Mysql complains at me

Mike Richardson doctor at mcc.ac.uk
Thu Jan 26 22:13:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 03:05:23PM -0600, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> Do you think this would be any different than a corrupt file or a
> registry error on Windows Media Center Edition?  Neither Linux or
> Windows are black boxes to be compared with Tivo and ReplayTV.  They
> have underlying operating system components that need care.  If you
> can't learn how to care for it, then maybe it isn't the right choice for
> you.

By the same token several friends with Sky+ have had to reformat their
storage several times, losing all their previous recordings and have had
issues with the recording/storage/interface of a pretty serious nature. By
Dad had serious problems with the disk in some HD/DVD recording device - the
disk was fine but the device wouldn't reformat it.

These problems are OS problems, not hardware. At least with linux I can
search Google and get in there to fix it rather than having to wait for the
six monthly software update or try to work though the problem with some
trained monkey on a support desk.

MythTV is an order of magnitude more versatile than Sky+, Tivo, Toppy etc,
and is an order of magnitude more complex. It has an order of magnitude more
problems but I can live with it. I'm one of the people who look at a complex
system and smile because I know it means 'powerful' - those who frown should
stick with a video recorder and a find a six year old to program it.

Great product - it is on the bleeding edge and I love it.

Mike
--
Mike Richardson
Networks
Email: doctor at mcc.ac.uk
*Plain text only please - attachments stripped on arrival*