[mythtv-users] nvidia 6x00 vs mythtv and mpeg offload

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Thu Jan 26 23:52:29 UTC 2006

>> 5200's just work? Really? Please, let me in on your secret. I've built several myth
>> systems, always with ATI, and now *that's* a video card that just works. No
>> worries about opengl, XvMC, OSD, driver versions, compile options, etc.
>>
>lol...
>
>No worries about OpenGL 2.0--because ATI's drivers only support OpenGL
>1.3.  No worries about XvMC--because ATI's drivers don't support XvMC.  :)

Exactly. And if my HD content plays just fine without that support, then
I'm not exactly sure why I need it. Kinda like if my Toyota gets me to
work in the same amount of time as Ferrari, I'm not exactly impressing my friends,
but my boss (wife) doesn't really care. And at least my Toyota (ATI) isn't
in the shop all the time, unlike my Ferrari (nvidia).

Oh, BTW, the latest ATI drivers support OpenGL 2.0.
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.21.7.html#178987