[mythtv-users] hd-3000 recording issues while and watchingrecordings from pvr-500

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Fri Jan 27 16:04:47 UTC 2006

>James C. Dastrup wrote:
>>> I have a weird problem when i'm watching recordings on my combined
>>> frontend/backend. If I'm watching tv on or even a recording from my
>>> pvr-500 or 350 while its trying to record a program on the HD-3000 via
>>> QAM.. I get a lot of artifacts in the recording.
>>>
>>> If i were to azap -r channel and watch a recording it goes from LOCKED
>>> unlocked LOCKED unlocked LOCKED over and over and over. The CPU is only
>>> being used at about 30% during all of this. If I just do azap -r channel
>>> without watching anything it is LOCKED all of the time.
>>>
>>> Anybody have any ideas of how I can track this down and try to fix it?
>>> I'm lost with this one.
>>

>> Just one thought, check your interrupts. This has caused problems
>> for me in the past.
>>
>> cat /proc/interrupts
>>
>> >From the dmesg output, it looks as if you may be sharing
>> IRQ's with devices that don't like to be shared. The worst devices I've
>> seen that often share and often cause problems are USB adapters and
>> NIC's.  Don't load the USB drivers if you don't have to. Also, move some
>> cards around in the PCI slots if possible.
>>

>This would make sense in that "i only have the problem when sound is
>playing back".
>
>0:    6427484          XT-PIC  timer
>  1:         10          XT-PIC  i8042
>  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>  4:          9          XT-PIC  serial
>  5:     110884          XT-PIC  ivtv1
>  7:      40564          XT-PIC  parport0
>  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  9:          1          XT-PIC  acpi
> 10:    7099603          XT-PIC  ivtv0, nvidia
> 11:     494167          XT-PIC  ivtv2, uhci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2, eth0
> 12:    5256246          XT-PIC  cx88[0], EMU10K1, cx88[0]
> 14:    3480859          XT-PIC  ide0
> 15:    1912283          XT-PIC  ide1
>NMI:          0
>LOC:          0
>ERR:         21
>MIS:          0
>

>I guess I should go into the bios and try to somehow shove it on another
>interrupt? Is it supposed to show up twice like that?

Suere enough, the evil USB's AND you NIC are on the same IRQ. Also, if
possible, disable or don't load your parralel port when you're not using it,
which should free up another IRQ, as well as your USB drivers, if you
don't use them. My troubels have taught me that you should always have
your NIC on it's own IRQ, same with USB.

If your BIOS supports assigning IRQ's do that, or you may need to move cards
arounds.  Many mobo's have an unavoidable relationship between the
onboard devices IRQ's and a particular slot, could be any slot, you'll have
to move things around to find out which. The frustarting part of this is some
IRQ's always go unused, no matter what you do, leaving you less to work with.

I don't know whether ivtv or cx88 cards mind if they share IRQ's or not, or if
there are other devices that don't mind. If someone else has experience with
this, let us know.