[mythtv-users] Sports events, LiveTV or Watch Recording?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 27 20:28:41 UTC 2006

On 01/27/2006 03:10 PM, James C. Dastrup wrote:
>> But, the global pre-/post-roll have a max of 10 minutes (600 seconds)*.
>> Won't work for the OP's desired 30 minutes.
> The GUI on my unmodified Gentoo + Myth 0.18.1-r2 allows it to go to
> 1800 seconds (30 minutes).
OK.  Pre-roll can be up to 10 minutes and post-roll can be up to 30.
>  But, yeah, that would require a lot of storage
> in the long run. I like my 2 minute (4 minute total) extensions, and it comes
> in handy very often.
>
> Also, interesting that you say the purpose of this feature was to support
> slow capture cards, or avoid the OSD display of the source. I would bet
> most people had no clue about that, and simply like being able to
> beat the DVR-unfriendly-networks that like to start and stop shows early.
> In other words, if all capture cards become "fast" and the OSD problem
> goes away, I hope developers don't remove this feature.

OSD problem will never go away as long as cable/satellite companies
require the use of STB's.

I doubt it will be removed.  When David Engel tried to make more
reasonable max values to convince people to schedule recordings
correctly (i.e. use per-recording-rule offsets instead of global
pre-/post-roll), he caused quite a stir.  ;)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/152185#152185
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/152226#152226
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/152227#152227
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/152245#152245

The whole thread makes for a good read, though, too.

Mike