[mythtv-users] Manually enter freq. in database.

Tom Burt benefici at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 28 12:30:07 UTC 2006

> >> I'm using XMLTV.
> >> So I'm looking for a way to put the frequencies into my database
> >> manually because the "scan channels" option in mythtv-setup doesn't work
> >> (I can't select it.)
> >> Anybody knows what to look after in the database and in what format I
> >>need
> >> to plug in the frequencies? My frequencies are listed on my cable
> >> provider's homepage in this format:
> >> http://www.tre-for.dk/default.aspx?m=2&i=220
> >
> >You have to update the columns "freqid" and "finetune" in the table
> >"channel".
>
> Ok and the "channum" I can set to what ever I like, depending where I want
> the channel when zapping in mythfrontend?

Yes, as far as I know.

> >The idea is that you search the frequency closest to yours in the
> >"official"
> >list of channels which will give freqid (e.g. 48.250MHz -> E2, 55.250MHz
> > ->
> >
> >E3, 62.250MHz -> E4 etc.)
>
> I think you are getting close to my root (not the user :)) problem(s) now.
>
> 1. I don't know exactly what number to put under "freqid" under channels in
> my database. If the Danish channel "TV2" if running on 175,25MHz will I put
> in 175,25 | 17525 | 175250 or something else?

You would put "E5" into freqid because that is the official identifier of the
channel that has the standard frequency of 175.25MHz.

> >and then calculate
> >finetune = (<your freq> - <official freq>) * 16
> Ok in your calculation you use "official freq" which I think is the one on
> www.tre-for.dk but "your freq" is a little hard to find since I haven't
> been able to find a utility that is able to scan for channels on my PVR
> 350.
I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but by "your freq" I meant the
actual frequency that you want to tune which is what your provider uses, or
to be more precise, the frequency that your capture card thinks it is set to
when tuned to the channel in question :). And "official freq" would be the
frequency that is the standard frequency for the given freqid. Your provider
could use non-standard frequencies which fall between two standard freqs,
that's why you have finetune.

Anyway, I checked the web page you mentioned and found 13 channels there. For
the first 11 of them, set freqid to "E" and the value under Kanal
concatenated (i.e. "E2", "E3", ... "E12") and for the last two channels
freqid is "SE9" and "SE10" respectively. Finetune is 0 for all the channels.
Hope this helps :)
Tom