[mythtv-users] Mythtv rebooting system

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Sat Jan 28 15:44:04 UTC 2006

Nathan A. Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-01-28 at 09:10 -0500, Dewey Smolka wrote:
>
>>> Not looking at your logs, just from past experience...  Anytime I have
>>> behavior like you've described, it was either due to a poor power
>>> supply or an IRQ conflict.
>>>
>> Have a look also at your CPU fan -- if it's not properly fixed to the
>> chip that can cause overheating and automatic shutdown/reboot.
>>
> Thanks for the hint,
>
> but I am sure overheating of the cpu isn't the issue.  I can run the box
> for days (I have) and not have it reboot.  It only happens when I try
> running TV...

Heat can very much be an issue.  The CPU and GPU will both fire up more
heat when in use watching or recording TV.   Have you tried running the
system with the case open to relieve temperature and see if that helps?
I had a similar issue with one of my systems that was solved by
reseating the CPU fan on the CPU using some antec thermal paste and I've
never had a problem since.  It would only happen when I watched TV

Kevin