[mythtv-users] sound suddenly not encoding -- update
mstrimel at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 21:54:08 UTC 2006
After posting the message below, I tried running mythbackend -v audio to look for more info. I also switched to the onboard sound instead of my installed soundcard. This seems to have fixed both problems, although I confess to being completely baffled (I had tried restarting the backend and the machine several times before writing but it made no difference).
If anyone knows what this might have been, I'd love to hear it in case this happens again. I've run out of sound cards :)
My mythbox has been running great for several months now. Suddenly, it is
failing to encode sound and it also refuses to schedule new recordings.
When I try to watch livetv, the backend log shows "strange error flushing
buffer." If I run mythbackend with the "-v all" option, the log shows a very
long string as follws (not sure if this is an error or not):
2006-01-28 16:22:09.065 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.097 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.260 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.277 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.308 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.359 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.425 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.460 6 128000
2006-01-28 16:22:09.471 Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None
I'm pretty certain it's not a sound card problem, because if I unmute line-in I
can hear the appropriate sound a few seconds ahead of the video feed, and my old
recordings play sound. I uninstalled and re-installed lame and toggled many
sound settings but it didn't seem to help.
I also have a problem where myth will not accept new recordings ... when I hit
"save these settings," the guide says the show is "not recording." Yet I can
record from live tv by hitting "r", with no sound of course.
These problems seem to have cropped up at the same time but I'm not sure if
they're related. I have searched the newsgroup archives, saw some mentions of
the "flushing buffer' error but no solutions.
More information about the mythtv-users