[mythtv-users] Mythtv rebooting system

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jan 29 04:15:19 UTC 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 8:57 PM, Chris Ribe wrote:

> Brian,
>    I appreciate the experience and knowledge you bring to the
> community, and your I will take your advice to heart, but right now
> I'm just trying to find out if I have a problem at all.
>
> There is a certain risk to the equipment involved in pulling my
> computer out of the closet it is buried in, pulling the motherboard
> out of the computer, removing the heatsink, and putting the whole
> thing back together again.  I'd rather not go through that process
> at this point.
>
> The mystery lube is lithium grease originally intended for use on
> squeky door hinges.

Actually that wouldn't be *too* bad, I can think of worse things.

I certainly understand the risk of disassembly, but flaky
unpredictable reboots are a classic sign of thermal problems, and
improper heatsinking is a classic cause.

If I were to write a HowTO for MythTV the first thing would be to
make sure your machine is working perfectly in every regard. MT
stresses a system more than most applications and it certainly is not
going to fix any squirrels one might have starting out.

But I promised to get off this thread, back to my weird PiP problem :-)