[mythtv-users] Network Device Failure.....

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jan 29 08:37:52 UTC 2006

On Jan 28, 2006, at 11:29 PM, John Nelson wrote:

> Hail Fellow Myth-folk,
>
> I just finally got a system up and running.  I had some issues and
> then
> ran out of time until Christmas holidays.
>
> I am not having problems, however, where the network card for the
> backend seems to cease working.  The lights on the switch it is
> connected to stop blinking or even being lit.  I can not hit the
> outside
> world with the web browser or any other network tool.
>
> It seems to do this when I am streaming video.  It does not do it all
> the time, but more than enough to be a major nuisance.
>
> I am beginning to think I need a separate network card.  The
> problem?  I
> have 3 Hauppage 150s for tuner cards, and only 3 PCI slots.
>
> If anyone has experienced this, or can point me in a good direction, I
> would appreciate any help.  I am wondering if I should look into
> alternatives to a pci network card -- maybe a USB or PCMCIA card?
>
> The network device I have is onboard the VIA motherboard.  (That Via
> board was cheap, so I got what I paid for ...)

Nothing inherently wrong with the Via Rhine network adapter, I'm
using one with no problems. "lspci" will show you the precise type of
adapter.

Is it perhaps sharing an interrupt with something that it doesn't
want to be? "Cat /proc/interrupts" will show you if this might be a
problem.

Is your network device support modular or compiled in? I seem to
recall I had some strangeness with the module and now have it
compiled in.

I'd stay away from USB network adapters, and are you saying the mobo
has PCMCIA support? That'd be unusual for a desktop motherboard.