[mythtv-users] mythfrontend freezes on first run

Stuart Moore stjm2-mythtv at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Jan 29 17:38:46 UTC 2006

I'm trying to set up a mythtv system. mythfrontend always freezes: I get
a background come up, similar to that of mythtv-setup (but a slightly
different colour). Nothing happens from here in. sshing from another
machine and running top reveals "Xorg" is running at 95%+  processor
usage. Mythbackend occasionally does some processing, as does mysql and
"cx88[0] dvb", so it seems to be thinking about something, but there's
nothing obvious in the logs.

The system is a P3 800 with 256Mb ram. I'm using a WinTV Nova-T card,
and I've successfully watched tv off it using tzap and dvbstream. All
the channels seemed to be found. I'm using the latest ubuntu, all
packages obtained from them using aptitude. I'm using a PCI XFX GeForce
MX4000 64mb and the NVidia drivers, outputting to TV only.

Any suggestions? Unfortunately I don't have frequent physical access to
the machine (setting it up for parents) but I can log in remotely easily.

Stuart