[mythtv-users] Line of garbage at top of screen

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 14:06:32 UTC 2006

On 30/01/06, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> When I watch recorded material on OS X there's what looks like a one
> (source) pixel line of seemingly random black and white pixels.  The
> source material is fine; I don't see the garbage when I play it in
> VLC.  Does anyone know where this comes from or what can be done about
> it?  (Trac is down or I'd have made a ticket)

It's teletext data (VBI I think is the proper name), streaming of text
data within the video signal.  It was designed to be hidden in the bit
of the picture you couldn't see on an analog television.

AFAIK the only way to get rid of it is to tweak your overscan settings
so that the top few pixels aren't visible.