[mythtv-users] US-Broadcast, Hauppage WinTV, Fedora Core 2

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Jan 30 14:52:19 UTC 2006

(This is a continuation of the 'MythTV and TV' thread I started, except
that it has moved more from config to debugging... so I figured I'd
rename it and post detailed data again.)

I am using a Hauppage WinTV card - see below - and having some problems
with tuning and changing channels.  The system is a Fedora Core 2 SMP
box, running mythtv 0.18.1 from rpms.

testing I've done:

1.  xawtv works fine on the backend, I can tune in channels available in
my area.
2.  If I set up the backend for NTSC/US-broadcast, I get a green screen
(static/no signal type.)
3.  If I set up the backend for NTSC/US-cable, I can get one channel -
whatever channel I program as the default/initial in the mythtv-setup.
I get no sound at all.
4.  If I try to change channels, the image on the front end freezes, and
I get 'there was a problem with the video' and from then on, the backend
will no longer transmit anything from the WinTV card.  Other backend
functions work fine.  There are no error messages from the backend at all.

I'm a bit mystified; I've looked at the code and at least the freq
tables for US-bcast and US-cable are identical for channels 2-13, so I'm
not sure why my system works with one and not the other.

In my mind, this points to either a) database corruption, b) driver
problems within mythtv, or c) flaky hardware, although the last is
questionable.... since the card works fine with xawtv and worked fine in
the system it was pulled from.

Right now I am going on the assumption that I have database corruption.
Could someone please point me in the right direction?  I can dump the
sql database, but what am I looking for?

Thanks,

--Yan

00:06.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Video
Capture (rev 11)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV Series
        Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B-