[mythtv-users] no fast-forward + no commercia flagging --> frustration

Matt Price matt.price at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 30 15:52:02 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

I recently switched my functioning mythtv system (which runs the ubuntu
breezy 18.1 packages on a pentium-III system with a hauppauge pvr350
doing all the heavy lifting) over to a new hard drive (old one was too
small).  I had a little trouble at first getting the filesystems synced,
but pretty much thought I had worked out all the kinks until I started
watching programs with commercials.  Then I found two problems, which I
imagine to be mroe or less unrelated, but which combine to make watching
tv a whole lot less fun:

1)  For some reason no commercials are being flagged.  Even if a program
is set up with "flag -- use all"  in the database, attempts to skip
forward or backward result in a "not flagged" message flashing on the
screen.

@) This in itself is a bummer.  But there's also a problem with the fast
forward button.  Sometimes it works fine.  But often , pressing the fast
forward button (to play at 3x, 5x, or 10x) results in a wierd stall --
the pictures stays almost still, perhaps flickering a bit, and the
position indicator will remain stuck at the same moment -- say, 18:32.
It might flicker around a bit too, say 18:31, 18:35, 18:32.  Meanwhile,
the indicated LENGTH of the clip will sluctuate wildly -- so the video
will apear to GROW and SHRINK as the picture stays fixed.  OFten after
doing that for a wile, and in response to some other button press, this
wierd behaviour will cease all at once and suddenly the fast worward
will work again, at least for a little while.

Anyway, it's bizarre and frustrating.  I'd very much appreciate any
suggestions on e.g. where to look to diagnose the problem further.

THanks,

Matt