[mythtv-users] US-Broadcast, Hauppage WinTV, Fedora Core 2

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 30 16:23:36 UTC 2006

Yan Seiner wrote:
> (This is a continuation of the 'MythTV and TV' thread I started, except
> that it has moved more from config to debugging... so I figured I'd
> rename it and post detailed data again.)
>
> I am using a Hauppage WinTV card - see below - and having some problems
> with tuning and changing channels.  The system is a Fedora Core 2 SMP
> box, running mythtv 0.18.1 from rpms.
>
> testing I've done:
>
> 1.  xawtv works fine on the backend, I can tune in channels available in
> my area.
> 2.  If I set up the backend for NTSC/US-broadcast, I get a green screen
> (static/no signal type.)
> 3.  If I set up the backend for NTSC/US-cable, I can get one channel -
> whatever channel I program as the default/initial in the mythtv-setup.
> I get no sound at all.
> 4.  If I try to change channels, the image on the front end freezes, and
> I get 'there was a problem with the video' and from then on, the backend
> will no longer transmit anything from the WinTV card.  Other backend
> functions work fine.  There are no error messages from the backend at all.
>
> Right now I am going on the assumption that I have database corruption.
> Could someone please point me in the right direction?  I can dump the
> sql database, but what am I looking for?
>
> Thanks,

Sounds like the database is 'corrupted' in that you have no tuning
information in it.
Sounds like you have not fully followed the instructions. The fact that
your hardware works with xawtv strongly implies that the kernel+module
side of things is set up correctly for your hardware so that the problem
is the mythtv setup.

THIS IS YOUR JANUARY QUIZ. ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS.

2.    Have you set up a broadcast lineup there, using your zip code,
thus determining the local channels you can receive at your antenna
site? Note that this will list both analog and digital channels: you may
have to select one type or the other for your lineup. If your card is
analog, then including digital channels is "contra-indicated"
3.    Have you saved that lineup, and remembered to write down you user
name and password? (Note these are not the same as the ones for
zap2it.com alone)
Have you entered that lineup, including username and password in
mythtv-setup under "Video sources"? (Note that this may run
mythfilldatabase... and take a while)
4.    Have you associated your card (entered in mythtv-setup, "Capture
Cards")  with that source, by selecting that combination in
mythtv-setup, "Input Connections", using the correct description for the
physical input you are using.
And finally,
5.    Have you run mythfilldatabase, (again) to actually download a
program schedule to your mysql database?

THIS QUIZ WILL COUNT FOR 100% OF YOUR WINTER TERM MARK!

--
       R. Geoffrey Newbury
     Barrister and Solicitor

  905-271-9600  Fax 905-271-1638