[mythtv-users] Video Player that can Bookmark

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 17:59:45 UTC 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 11:41, Peter Darley wrote:
> Folks,
> 	I've been watching movies a lot on the ol' Myth system, and I find
> that I often can't finish a movie in one sitting because of my new
> daughter.  I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a video player that
> will allow me to save a bookmark of where I left off when I stopped
> the video, similar to what Myth can do with TV shows?  I checked out
> xine and mplayer, and it doesn't look like either of them can do it,
> tho I could have missed something. Thanks,
> Peter Darley

Here's a Perl script I cobbled together for MPlayer.  It requires you to
set up your .lircrc with a keybinding for mplayer's "edl_mark" command.
When watching a movie, it will check for the presence of an EDL (Edit
Decision List) file for that movie, and skip to the latest timecode
specified in the file.  IIRC, it removes the EDL file upon playback, so
next time you start it (if you haven't set another bookmark) it will
start from the beginning.

NB- This script also does funky stuff for auto-enabling subtitles,
aspect and aspect ratio detection (I like to move widescreen movies to
the top of my 4:3 screen and display subtitles in the giant black bar
at the bottom).

YMMV.

-JAC