[mythtv-users] Why does my USB IR remote behave like a keyboard?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Mon Jan 30 19:41:16 UTC 2006

I'm trying to debug my remote, but I know nothing about LIRC.  So my
first step in understanding what is happening is to figure out why my
remote behaves like a keyboard.  I checked dmesg and the USB receiver
that came with the remote is detected as a Philips RCS Keyboard.  It has
a HID an everything.  Many of the buttons are returning normal
keycodes.  Many are not.  I want to get to a point where I can get a
signal from each of the buttons, then I can do something with the signal.

So, does LIRC cause a remote to look like a keyboard?  Or, do you think
the USB receiver for the remote is designed to appear to be a keyboard?

Richard Bronosky wrote:
> I have came accross this remote
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardbronosky/92962671/ ehich came with
> the Dell that my Mother-in-Law got upsold into.  (The sales guy told her
> she needed MCE cause it was the newest thing and she didn't want her
> computer to be out of date the day she got it.  But they didn't even put
> a tuner in the machine.</rant>)
>
> Has anyone ever used one of these?  It seems like it should be the same
> as a KMS MCE remote, right?  It appears to be recognized as a keyboard,
> but many of the buttons do nothing.  So I installed Sven
> http://sven.linux.kiev.ua/index-en.shtml which gives my the power to map
> a few more of the buttons, but there are still many that do not send
> keycodes to Sven.  I know the Remote is transmiting and being received,
> because there is a little receive light on the USB base.  I love the key
> layout, now I just need to make the Pictures, Music, DVD, and Videos
> buttons do something.
>
> Ideas?

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

I may have missed the answer there, in which case, please point out the article to me, but don't say "check forum X."

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.