[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Mon Jan 30 23:24:52 UTC 2006

So let me get this straight.  If I use my Comcast cable for only about 8
channels one of which is Fox.  I hear Neal Boortz say that he missed 24
last night, so I burn him a copy to DVD.  (With or without the
commercials.  We can argue it both ways.)  And when I mail it to him,
I've committed a crime.  If I do the same thing using a c-band dish, it
is not a crime.  The difference is $0.26 per month on c-band, and $80
per month divided by 8 channels for $10 per month on Comcast.

Is that correct?  We need to pool so resources and turn MythTV into
MythIPTV.

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

>>> I seem to recall an article posted here a year or two back about
>>> someone in Canada who had done this, and the redistribution rights
>>> were ridiculously cheap.  It just made me all the more annoyed with
>>> the cable company/big content cartel.
>>>
>>> If I find the article I'll re-post it.
>>>
>>> -JAC
>>>
>> I think that's this article:
>>
>> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040930.html
>>

> That's it.  Here's the relevant part:
>
> ---------------------------- Begin quoted text ------------------
> At this point, intellectual property lawyers are supposed to start
> reaching for their telephones to call Canada, but it won't do any good
> because all this content is perfectly legal and here's how. With the
> exception of local channels, which come from an antenna, all of
> Andrew's video content comes from a C-band (big dish) satellite
> receiver (receivers, actually), and is fully paid for. "I buy the
> channels just like a cable system does or a motel that wants to offer
> HBO, from the National Programming Service," says Andrew. "And as a
> result I pay wholesale prices. People don't realize how much of a
> markup there in is the cable business. The Discovery Networks, for
> example, cost me $0.26 per customer per month. The IP laws in both the
> U.S. and Canada say that if I have legal access to this content I can
> store and use it. And the over-the-air channels, of course, are free."

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

I may have missed the answer there, in which case, please point out the article to me, but don't say "check forum X."

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.