[mythtv-users] Can MythTV do this?

Jacob Steenhagen jacob at steenhagen.us
Mon Jan 30 23:41:56 UTC 2006

Sasha Z wrote:
> If I were a C wizkid I'd rewrite the backend - keeping the scheduler
> but nuking most of everything else. You would have to have some form
> of QoS to make sure people don't monopolize the backend system. You
> also couldn't see schedules that you hadn't set, to prevent privacy
> issues. If two or more people schedule the same thing - then that's
> great, one less stream to record. People would be able to grant each
> other the right to view their personal stored content. It can be a
> simple question, "With whom would you like to share this recording?
> <Everybody> <My friends> <Only myself>" I would also suggest more
> processing power per backend (4x dual core cpu's perhaps?) in order to
> run h.264 encoding to save storage space and network bandwidth. The
> clients would multicast to each other in order to save backend
> bandwidth.

One of the things mentioned in the article
(http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040930.html) is that the
recorded library is so huge that he now (as in Sept-04) has it set to
record anything it doesn't already have. Having "personal stored
content" would kinda negate that. Personal playlists, sure, but not
personal stored content. If you're sharing the system with 300 other
users, does it really matter that a show is recorded... as long as it
doesn't say "Recorded by Jake" and instead just shows up in the master
database, what's the big deal?