[mythtv-users] Micro-atx motherboards for high definition - recommendations?

Jerry Rubinow jerrymr at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 04:42:01 UTC 2006

On 1/30/06, Brian Steele <steele.brian at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/30/06, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm looking for recommendation for a good micro-atx motherboard to use
> > for doing HD playback (myth frontend only machine).  I'd like a board
> > that's known to work well with Linux (no important driver issues), has
> > the capacity for HD, and preferably has spdif onboard and an AGP slot
> > for an FX5200.
>

> If you don't mind using an Intel socket 478 processor, check out the Abit
> IS-10.  I've been using it for almost a year and I haven't had any issues.
> It has spdif optical onboard that works fine with ALSA and an AGP slot.  If
> you need IEEE-1394 support, look elsewhere.

Very nice.  You're using it for HD?  Looks like a very good board, and
you can't beat $40 for a manufacturer refurbished unit, at one of the
few places I could find selling it.  A firewire board is pretty cheap,
and I expect all I'll need to put in there is that and the FX5200.  I
heard mention of an IS-12 that has firewire too, but that doesn't seem
to exist at all.

Thanks for the pointer, I may end up going with this.

Any other suggestions?

-Jerry