[mythtv-users] MythTV and LVM

Devan Lippman devan.lippman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:21:04 UTC 2006

On 1/31/06, Matt Jordan <thehappyfunball at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have two quick questions about setting up MythTV to store its data
> on an LVM array.
>
> - After a certain amount of time, can I set individual drives to spin
> down when the data on that particular drive isn't being accessed?  (If
> I have shows on a hard disk in the array that aren't being watched in
> a couple of days, I would like for that drive to go offline for a
> while.)
>
> - Are there any other concerns for using LVM?  Are there any serious
> speed penalties?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Matt

You should be able to use spinlock to do this, I'm sorry you'll have
to find more on this on your own.  However this WILL decrease the life
of your drives.  Drives are much happier staying on (assuming the
proper environment) than coming on and off.
As Paul said using an LVM increases your change of data loss with
every drive you add.  That said I use it, but I don't hold a high
price on my tv recordings and I have everything else running nightly
backups.  There's a chance when your LVM fails (provided its not
striped) that you will not suffer complete data loss.

--
Thanks,
Devan Lippman <devan at lippman dot net>