[mythtv-users] Line of garbage at top of screen

Endaf Jones jonese at zener.com
Tue Jan 31 18:47:44 UTC 2006

On 1/31/06, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:

> > > Can you take a screencap of it? Or does it look anything similar to
> > > the bars at the top on http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-2.jpg and
> > > http://www.mrmagoo.org/temp/HDTV-3.jpg ? On QAM channels I see these
> > > lines on any 4:3 programming and they are rather annoying, and I now
> > > notice them on analog channels too.  I thought it was something the
> > > cable company did so their STB can switch for 16:9 and stretched 4:3,
> > > but my previous post to this list got no responses.  I havn't seen
> > > this with my TV's built-in tuner, so I assume it is something MythTV
> > > is suppost to handle that it doesn't.
> > >
> > > I see the overscan settings could fix this, but without being able to
> > > set program-specific overscans it would be cutting off some of
> > > "normal" broadcasts.  I guess a small price to pay for sanity but
> > > still.
> >
> > that's just VBI data. It's in every broadcast. You don't see it on your
> > regular TV with it's tuner because the mfr sets the overscan so high
> > that it's not seen. You can too. It's easy to do with the overscan
> > setting in mythtv frontend>>Utilities/Setup>>Setup>>TV
> > Settings>>Playback>>Overscan
> >
> > Set the Vertical over/underscan setting to something small like 2 or 4
> > and check your video playback. I play both NTSC and ATSC 6:9 and it
> > works fine.
>
> Or just use the custom filter "crop". I forget the exact parameters, but you
> basically specify how many pixels to chop off the top, bottom and sides.
> Details can be found in the list archives, I'm sure.

If I'm not mistaken, the "crop" filter is in multiples of 16 pixels.
You can't just specify 6 pixels, you can only specify 0,16,32 ...

For a lot of people, that's just too much of the picture to remove.
Overscan is your best option I think in this case.  Unless something
has changed recently.

--
# Endaf