[mythtv-users] Cheap digital cables... Good!

Richard Bronosky mythtv at bronosky.com
Tue Jan 31 19:24:59 UTC 2006

Preston Crow wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 10:51 -0800, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 31 January 2006 10:31, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>>
>>> I am upgrading my myth box, and will get some sort of geforce card to
>>> output to my hdtv.  My tv can take component or hdmi inputs.  My
>>> preference would be to get a geforce card with dvi out and then get a
>>> dvi->hdmi cable to run it properly as I would like to avoid paying an
>>> extra $100 for a vga->component converter.
>>>
>> Heh, DVI->HDMI cables aren't cheap either...
>>

> Huh?  Mine were something like $14 a year ago, and I see them under $5
> on Froogle now.  Sure, stores always put a huge mark-up on cables,
> because they're not the competitively advertised items.

I bought one of these (
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSAA:US:11&Item=5855986405
) on 1/19/06 The quality is very good.  Even at 15" the signal seems
perfect.  The cool thing about digital cables is that the signal is NOT
fragile like an analog cable.  So paying insanely high prices to get
great shielding isn't necessary.  Or so I've been told.

>>> My questions are:
>>> 1) will this be decent quality?
>>>
>> If it works, it'll be pretty much the best quality you can possibly get. My
>> DVI->DVI setup is gorgeous.
>>

> Yup.  However, with DVI, you can't do modeline tricks to create modes
> without overscan.  That's a real pain for me with Mythgame.
>

>>> 2) is this even possible with HDCP issues?
>>>
>> Depends on your TV.
>>

> It shouldn't be an issue.  HDCP is supposed to be optional on the
> receiving end.
>

>>> 3) can someone recommend a good cheap card that will handle this,
>>> preferably fanless that fits into a AGP slot.  Keep in mind, I want to
>>> HD playback.
>>>
>> A GeForce FX 5200 is more than enough.
>>

> In fact, if you check the archives, you'll see that a 5200 isn't just
> enough, it's generally the best option at any price.  The 6xxx and up
> cards use different acceleration techniques that aren't fully supported
> by the video playback software, so you actually get the best performance
> with a 5200.
>

> But there's another option that wasn't mentioned.  I've noticed that
> some video cards now have component video output, so you don't need a
> VGA converter.  If you can find a 5200 with component output and DVI
> output, that would be the perfect card, as you could use component if
> you need to do modeline tricks, or you can use DVI to avoid going to
> analog.
>
> --PC

Thank you for your time,
--==<< R i c h a r d   B r o n o s k y >>==--

I may have missed the answer there, in which case, please point out the article to me, but don't say "check forum X."

Nearly all viruses and spyware are designed to use Microsoft internet products.  Protect yourself by avoiding Internet Explorer & Outlook/Outlook Express.