[mythtv-users] connecting mythbox to HD tv -- dvi->hdmi or vga->component

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 31 19:57:12 UTC 2006

On Jan 31, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Preston Crow wrote:

> The overscan doesn't bother me with video.  Perhaps it should, as I'm
> losing part of the picture.

There are several SMPTE-defined areas of the television screen:

Safe Action

Safe Title

Full picture

This is because SMPTE recognizes that all TV sets overscan, to
varying degrees. This is so as the set ages, and the deflection
voltages invariably drop, the viewer does not see black areas and go
running to his manufacturer for a refund/warranty repair. This does
not really apply yo more modern LCD/Plasma sets though.

Safe Title is where it is considered safe to put on-screen graphics
like names and places on a News Show (Chyrons).

Safe Action is where it is safe to have anything significant happen.

Any good director will adhere to these standards, so it is unlikely
you will miss much of anything.