[mythtv-users] connecting mythbox to HD tv -- dvi->hdmi or vga->component

Calvin Harrigan charriglists at bellsouth.net
Tue Jan 31 23:53:14 UTC 2006

Jarod Wilson wrote:

>On Tuesday 31 January 2006 10:31, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>

>>I am upgrading my myth box, and will get some sort of geforce card to
>>output to my hdtv.  My tv can take component or hdmi inputs.  My
>>preference would be to get a geforce card with dvi out and then get a
>>dvi->hdmi cable to run it properly as I would like to avoid paying an
>>extra $100 for a vga->component converter.
>>

>Heh, DVI->HDMI cables aren't cheap either...

Don't buy the cable made up, buy a HDMI cable and an adapter from
monoprice.com like I did.  2 - 10 foot HDMI cables  and a DVI to HDMI
converter $28 shipped.  I think they sell the cable made up at a
reasonable price as well, I just wanted the flexibility.

>>My questions are:
>>1) will this be decent quality?
>>

>If it works, it'll be pretty much the best quality you can possibly get. My
>DVI->DVI setup is gorgeous.

Agreed, I really like tihs setup.  Even SD scaled via mythtv looks good.

>>2) is this even possible with HDCP issues?
>>

>Depends on your TV.
>

>>3) can someone recommend a good cheap card that will handle this,
>>preferably fanless that fits into a AGP slot.  Keep in mind, I want to
>>HD playback.
>>

>A GeForce FX 5200 is more than enough.

It's what I use, A MSI FX5200-TD128LF.