No subject

Fri Jan 20 20:58:57 UTC 2006

1. Buy a faster processor + motherboard + ram + PSU + Videocard +
everything else.
2. (Possibly) Just buy a videocard that has hardware acceleration,
like a FX5200.

For option 1, I found the VIA MII, which you can get up to a speed of
1.2 Ghz, sounds really attractive, but I'd also need to buy RAM and
I'll lose some expandability (Only one PCI slot) and I'm not really
sure wether or not the VIA CPU's are really that fast.

For option 2, I found the NVidia FX5200, a real bargain at 35 euros or
something. But will the XvMc acceleration help my (passivly cooled!)
celeron 333 enough to be able to play full-PAL-sized DVD's, DivXen and
allso be able to do live-tv? (I allready have a PVR500, so
encoding/capturing takes allmost no CPU power.)

Does anyone have experience with hardware like this? I'd like to know
what you learned from that.

Regards,
Wander Winkelhorst.