[mythtv-users] OT: Homeplug "85Mbps" to link mythbox

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jul 2 00:25:05 UTC 2006

On Jul 1, 2006, at 6:15 PM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

>> The reviews I've read in the consumer computer mags all seem to agree
>> that the speed claims for A/C wiring type networking devices are
>> significantly exaggerated.
>>
>> But so are the claims for just about any consumer device in terms of
>> speed, capacity, etc.
>>
>> Heck, the industry can't even agree on what a "gigabyte" is.
>>
>> You will never, for example, see an 802.11g link transfer at 54Mb, or
>> a USB 2.0 run at 480 Mb, it just doesn't (and can't) happen. Why they
>> are allowed to get away with this crap escapes me.
>>
> Because the actual "wire" speed is as claimed. You then have to
> subtract
> protocol overhead.... This can be significant. Especially on inherent
> lossy transfers, as with 802.11.

Well sometime's it's as claimed, sometimes not. Like a "100 speed"
switch that has ports that will acknowledge a "100 full duplex"
connection, but has a processing engine that can't pass data at a
tenth of that speed.

But I guess we all know the game, and if you don't you probably don't
care.

But the specs can be deceiving, you would think that a "480" USB
connection is faster than a "400" firewire, when most often the
actual performance of the latter is in fact better.

Sorry for the OT.