[mythtv-users] Mythbackend causing high load

Mike Benoit ipso at snappymail.ca
Sun Jul 2 17:47:36 UTC 2006

It appears the cause is due to fragmentation in the file system. Once
reiserfs is severely fragmented it starts to take huge amounts of CPU to
search for free blocks.

Do you record two programs at once often? Apparently this is what causes
the most fragmentation. So depending on how badly your file system is
fragmented will depend on how much free space you're going to have to
keep available at all times. With a ~500gb drive, I would recommend you
keep between 50-60gb free at all times.

I finally got in touch with the reiserfs guys and it looks like this may
be a bug, so hopefully we can help them track it down and get it fixed.