[mythtv-users] Asking before upgrading the schema

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Tue Jul 4 18:15:11 UTC 2006

    Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:44:20 -0300
    From: Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org>

    > Is there some reason why Myth doesn't -ASK- first?  If someone
    > submitted a patch to make it ask, would it be accepted?

     Noone is going to "pre accept" code. Write it, submit it. If the
    code is clean, provides a useful function then it has a high chance of being
    accepted. The exact same rules that apply to all submitted patches.

Right, but it's also a waste of time to submit a patch and have it be
rejected for ideological reasons, e.g., "I don't believe this is a bug
that needs fixing so it's rejected regardless."  So I'm checking first.

I'm also not going to be submitting any patch myself---I'm hoping to
encourage someone else to do something easy once discussion settles
down---because I'm not running SVN.  Why?  (a) I don't have the spare
hardware and must run a stable release for the production machines we
are using for our research, and (b) there's no -way- I'd allow -any-
SVN machine on our network until this very bug is actually fixed, lest
some test SVN machine accidentally get configured to point to the real
MBE---in which case, it would instantly break the MBE by upgrading its
DB past the version for which the MBE was even compiled.  I'd rather
not take that risk.