[mythtv-users] Tips to make my MythTV box feel less like a computer?

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Tue Jul 4 22:37:42 UTC 2006

Paul Pick wrote:

>>Don't try using myth without a window manager if you plan on launching
>>external apps such as xine for mythvideo, you'll most likely end up with
>>focus issues.
>

> Well, you should feel free to _try_ mythfrontend without a
> window manager, even if you run external apps. I use xine
> launched from mythfrontend and no window manager and haven't
> had any focus issues (well, none that a button mapped to
> 'killall mythfrontend' couldn't fix).

I run without a window manager as well.

I believe the focus problem with Xine was a problem with some older
versions of Xine. In the past, I applied a patch to Xine that fixed the
problem. However, with the current version of Xine it has not been a
problem.

However, I can cause focus problems by running and killing Xine from a
telnet window.