[mythtv-users] Capture Closed Captioning

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 19:13:34 UTC 2006

On 7/5/06, Aaron P. Uhrig <apu at askushow.com> wrote:
> I would like to capture CC data to a text file. I'm using a PVR-250 with
> MythTV .19 on Fedora 4.

If you download recent IVTV tarballs, there's a utility in one of the
dirs that builds but doesn't install called 'vbi' - copy it to
somewhere like /usr/local/bin and then run it.

you'll get realtime output of subtitles to stdout.

I presume you could do 'vbi > /tmp/cc.out' and capture them.

Now... what I'd like to see is a way for mythtranscode to pull out the
closed captioning data and create valid .srt files that could be
replayed in sync to video regardless of video format.

Presumably this would allow for an easy way search video for keywords
and jump to words or phrases in videos. I would love to be able to use
mythtv to search for "you want the truth?", get one matching result,
and then be able to jump right to that spot in the video. *THAT* would
be really fantastic. It looks like some video container formats *DO*
support embedded subtitles (mpeg4 and matroska it appears)

The other thing that would be nice is to have subtitles converted my
mytharchive into DVD subtitles :)

Oh, and while on the subject of video containers and adding things
into them... I really wish that all of the show recording metadata
could be tagged to video files the same as we have come to expect with
audio files... It seems that currently avi, mpeg4, and mkv have
varying degrees of tag support

-Ross