[mythtv-users] Getting better output to my HDTV?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Wed Jul 5 22:41:46 UTC 2006

> I have a Samsung TX-P3264 HD *capable* TV that is connected to my newish
> Mythbox. This new Mythbox is using a VIA EPIA SP 13000. The output to the
> TV is currently S-Video and I can't seem to get a mode that will give me
> good clean output to the edge of the tube. The TV is capable of decoding
> a 480p or 1080i signal. (It was a low-end HD capable TV when I bought
> it.)

I don't think svideo can do HD. That has been discussed recently on this
list.

> "The DIGITAL INPUT jack is not compatible with the picture signal of a
> personal computer".

My Sony LCD TV's manual said that, too. It seems to mean that the input
will only support a set number of specifc modes, rather than the screen's
native resolution. For example, my TV only supports 720p, 1080i etc via
HDMI. Nonetheless, if you find the right modeline, you should be able to
drive it from a PC. That's the tricky bit - I'm driving my TV via a
DVI-HDMI cable, and it took quite a bit of trial and error to find a
modeline that worked.

Cheers,

Jon